Sunday, May 15, 2016

The consequences of living without fear

The other day when I was at my parents' house I asked my mom to grab some Wisdom Booklets (the ATI curriculum) for me to read while I spend all of my time breastfeeding and pumping. She asked which ones I wanted and I told her that it didn't matter, I would find something terrible in any of them. I have been told several times that now that I have kids I will stop being so critical of how I was raised. False! I am just as, if not more critical now. I need to protect my girls, not shelter them.

It took all of a few seconds of flipping through randomly chosen Wisdom Booklet 25 before I found this example of several "consequences" of not fearing the Lord:
Does this photo outrage you? Yes? Good! Let's be friends! No? Bye, Felicia!

The example shows us a cracked foundation built on the mind of man and evolution. We all know that ATI condemns any and all free thinking man might have, and that any teachings of evolution are of the devil and purely false with absolutely "no proof" that anything happens for any reason other than "Because God made it that way". Let's all sigh a heavy sigh and slowly roll our eyes together while we move past that and focus on the seven pillars of "consequences" happening in our nation due to this worldly foundation of not fearing God.

Abortion-
 Pillar one is a rough one. This is still a hot topic during elections and most people take a strong stance on one side or the other. ATI blames abortions on the fact that evolution is taught in schools and that people dare look at cells as just cells. If you believe in life at conception, do you know what you should do? Not have an abortion. If you believe that life begins at a later point and that it would be unwise or unfair to bring a child into the world when you are a child yourself, or that child would be severely ill with a poor chance of making it, or any other reason, that is YOUR choice. Moving on.

Women's Rights-
Hold. My. Damn. Earrings.
I've learned from working EMS that the one not wearing her earrings is the one who started the fight. This pillar makes me never want to wear earrings around Bill Gothard.
As a kid in ATI this was no big deal, but now seeing it infuriates me. Women in ATI just accept this. Many families weren't allowed to watch Mary Poppins because of the mother's constant efforts towards womens' suffrage. The song "Sister Suffragette" has lyrics such as "Though we adore men individually, we agree that as a group they're rather stupid" and "No more the meek and mild subservient we! We're fighting for our rights militantly! Never you fear!" That line itself goes against this entire pillar illustration, and it is my favorite line. According to ATI, women are never to have rule over men because their rulings are based on emotion and not on sound, unwaivering judgement. Women are to be under their husband's constant authority and are only allowed rule over their children because children are feeble minded. I remember my father instructing my mother about which candidates to elect and him being reprimanded at the polls for trying to watch my mother vote. She was allowed to vote at least, but never FOR a woman.
But voting only scratches the surface of woman's rights. What about fair wages, maternity leave (which still needs a lot of work in America), birth control (which they see as sin), and equal educations (which they also think are
unnecessary)?!
The fact that women's rights are even being presented as a consequence baffles me. Dreamy eyes mentions often that living with me is like living with his own personal Kimmy Schmidt. So much of that show is meant as a joke, and it's hilarious, but so very true for how I grew up. The scene where Gretchen says "It's like the Reverend says, we're just GARBAGE." and Kimmy responds "We aren't GARBAGE, we're human beings!" is a perfect example of how it feels to talk to woman who are still in the cult. ATI absolutely doesn't encourage women to pursue higher education, and if they do, they have fewer options than men do. I have a friend to whom I want to send a bunch of cards because I think it's amazing to write "Dr and Mr..." on her envelope. ATI would never accept their application. Women are truly seen as inferior to men. One wisdom booklet notes that it is important to remember that Eve was made FROM Adam, and not from the dust, as he was. Had she been made from the dust this would mean woman was equal to man, and with a separate identity. You might as well just keep the earrings.

Situation Ethics-
There was a very large ban on Robin Hood viewing. Many of my friends didn't know who that was. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING in ATI is black and white. There are no gray areas when it comes to morals, ethics, or sin. This is where they would argue that a young girl who was raped by her father and has a pregnancy that is killing her shouldn't be allowed an abortion. More on this in the last pillar. ATI is very set on A+B=C, there are no variables. There are no choose your own adventure books.

Divorce & Remarriage-
Sure, most divorces suck. It's a miserable process, made worse if there are kids and assets, or if only one party wants it to happen. ATI does allow for some divorced parents to remain in ATI, but only if the divorce happened within Biblical limits, such as infidelity, but they would prefer just forgiveness. ATI does not however condone remarriage unless the previous spouse has died. One assignment for explaining divorce and remarriage is to glue together two pieces of cardboard, letting the glue dry, and then tearing the pieces apart. This is to show the damage caused by breaking apart from someone with whom you should have been joined for life. You can later be glued to a new piece of cardboard, but part of you will always remain with the previous piece and your new spouse will never have all of you. This is such crap! The only thing that lingered from my divorce was the irritating process of changing my last name again. I'm not a piece of garbage cardboard. I am currently 100% Mrs Dreamy Eyes, although he probably wouldn't have minded if some parts of me lingered on the old cardboard; I am a lot for one person to handle. I told him that if he ever wants to leave, he can, but I'm never changing my last name again. I have so many friends who are blissfully happy and WAY better off in their second marriages and I doubt any of them would count this as a consequence.

Children's Rights-
Of course this is a consequence. While I believe that children need structure and discipline, that doesn't mean that they don't have rights. We were taught that the shelter, food, and education provided to us was a privilege, not a right. While having a big room, chocolate ice cream, and a master's degree covered is a privilege, basic human needs of survival are not. ATI does not believe in equal education for all children. Girls don't need to learn to repel and boys don't need to sew. ATI does not believe in complying with State standards for education if it can be avoided. For this reason, hundreds of us were not able to attend college until mid to late 20's because we had to catch up.
Being a breastfeeding mom has made me take a strong interest in this topic of children's rights. In the ATI conference guide it states that nursing mothers may breastfeed their children under age 3 only in the nursing mothers room, and even in there, they must use a nursing cover or be dismissed (My mother notes that these guidelines were not followed, but that is what is written). Different States have different laws, but in many it is illegal to ban a breastfeeding mother to a separate room, or even to ask her to cover her baby, because the baby has the right to eat freely. There is a part of me that really wants to go to a conference just so that I can breastfeed there and have them be able to do nothing about it.

Sexual Revolution-
Anything to do with sex is clearly a consequence in ATI. The ONLY thing that is taught is abstinence until marriage and there are dozens of examples of what you are if you aren't only a genital virgin, but also a lip (kissing) virgin. You are anything from a chewed candy bar to a white silk sheet torn and tossed in the mud. I'm pretty sure that after I write this section that my mother will get a call saying "Heather is being slutty on the internet again", but that is rude. It is also rather sexist. A guy can sleep with triple the number of people and not be called a slut, yet heaven forbid a lady has a good time now and then! I'm not saying everyone needs to go a little crazy, but everyone should get to decide that for themselves. Also, the pot can leave a message, the kettle is busy living her life. I think sexual revolution is great. Of course ATI doesn't, it goes along with giving women more freedom to choose if and when they wanted a family. It allows people to love who they want to love, man, woman, doesn't matter. When I was a teenager I was sure that I would only ever sleep with, and kiss one man. I was sure that this would also be true for my husband. I waited until I was 18 and the first guy I kissed promised he would marry me. He didn't. But that's ok! After I got divorced I had a small handful of fun. Aside from the Monster, I have no regrets. I love the movie " Down with Love". I love the concept of being able to separate love and sex, and "having sex the way a man does". Learning to do that feels amazing! It doesn't feel lonely, it feels empowering. Everybody in ATI tells you to " guard your heart". I did. I learned that I value trust over love. It's easier to continue loving someone after they hurt you but you may not trust them. When you find a friend you trust but don't "love" you can figure out all of the things you like without all that lovey, mushiness clouding your mind. I don't plan on hiding or sugar coating things from my girls. If they want to wait until they are married, that's up to them, and I will happily support them, but I wouldn't demand that from them. I want them to learn to be careful and be respected. I don't want them to confuse great sex for intimacy and then be devastated to find out otherwise. Yes, of course the two can go together, and when they do that's the best, but you can absolutely have one independently of the other. I want them to be able to come to us with questions and know that they don't need to be afraid of being judged. Watch this video by John Oliver for what I think is the best sex-ed video out there. Everyone should know that while it's not the end of the world if you "cave" and don't wait until marriage, that it's also ok to say no! Even if you are married! Even if you decided halfway you want to stop, "No" needs to be said and respected! ATI teaches that once married, the wife belongs to the husband and he is free to do anything he pleases, whenever he pleases, and if she says no, she is disobeying God by not submitting to her husband.
It's no surprise at all that ATI is against sexual revolution. With birth control came the chance for more women in the workplace, higher education, and a way to be seen as equal to men by entering a world where they were in charge of their own lives.
We still have a long way to go. Many things are still based on gender. Occupations are still seen as gender based: firemen, mailmen, etc. But it works in reverse as well where people specify if a man is doing a "woman's job": male nurse, male nanny, Mr Mom, etc.
It drives me absolutely mad when I'm at work and people ask where the girls are. I say "Home", and the response is usually "Oh! Dad is babysitting tonight, huh?!" NO! Dad is not babysitting! Dad is home with his daughters, being a parent, just like I do when I'm home with them! Even "normal" people need to adjust their thinking a bit.

Euthanasia/Suicide-

Again, a touchy subject. I agree with the idea of euthanasia/Dr assisted suicide in cases of incurable diseases. I don't believe that doctors should be able to decide to let someone die against their wishes, but for those who have no quality, nor hope of quality of life, let them in sound mind make the choice for themselves to be free from their suffering. You don't have to agree, but I don't see euthanasia in this sense as a consequence. Also, euthanasia and suicide are not the same thing. This ties into situation ethics as well. Suicide in a teenager who is going through a breakup is different than a pain free, assisted death, with family around you, after years of fighting a losing battle.
ATI presents suicide as a problem in the world, which it is, but I don't think the leaders and parents actually know how many of the students seriously considered, and some attempted suicide. ATI lists this as a consequence of not fearing God, but isn't that what all of these families think they are doing? They are so concerned with making the world want to be like them, when really there are just as many, if not more problems in their own homes. At least the world takes suicidal ideation seriously. ATI just tells you those thoughts are sinful and that you need to repent, which only makes you feel more worthless. But I suppose if you are a woman who fights for the rights of her children to be educated about their bodies and thinks that ending a pregnancy in some situations is okay, I suppose worthless is the only ATI acceptable way to feel.



No comments:

Post a Comment